Sunday, October 09, 2016

Being Brave enough to find my Ezer-ness

I got to spend Friday evening and Saturday at the5th annual BRAVE Women's Conference. The conference was created by my friend Kat Cannon and is a ministry of Austin Oaks Church.  Our church was privileged to be a partner church.  I learned a lot during the weekend and was encouraged.  


When God creates Eve as a helper for Adam, the Hebrew word used for "helper" is "Ezer". It appears in the Old Testament several more times, but as a military term.  Carol Custis James asserts in her blog post Return of the Ezerthat "Based on the Old Testament's consistent usage of this term, it only makes sense to conclude that God created woman to be a warrior."

To be a warrior requires bravery.  To help people also requires bravery.  The same people that you help may reject you, turn against you, or even take credit for your work.  And sometimes trying to help people may not have the results you are aiming for.  Then you have to deal with the failure to help and the consequences.  Basically putting yourself out there as a helper, an ally, or even a warrior involves risk, and yes, bravery.  It also involves a choice.  In order to be an Ezer, you have to make a choice to be the person God created you to be.

As I continue to learn more about the person God created me to be, I hope I am brave enough to live out my Ezer-ness.





No comments: