Saturday, October 10, 2015

Multi-tasking & justification

So I'm writing while I'm watching football.  Kansas State is playing TX Christian.  Eat Em Up KSU!  I'm also watching a Hallmark movie that I've seen before during commercial breaks - which there seem to be a lot of on Fox. (no I'm not happy about that - I'm watching more of the movie than I am the game). Oh, and let's not forget that I have the ESPN College Football web page up on my computer so I can keep track of other scores.  While this is perfectly acceptable multi-tasking, sometimes we should be single minded and single focused.

Psalm 46:10 say "Be still and know that I am God."  To me this mean there is a time an place where we should be focused on God alone.  I tend to relate Biblical truths to songs, as it helps me remember them.  For this particular verse there is a song by Kim Hill, that says it in a perfect way that has always spoken to me, "Be Still & Know" from her first self titled album.

In life's busy-ness, we tend to justify multi-tasking a lot of things, including spending time with God.  We think this makes us be more effective in our spiritual life, but in fact it's the opposite.  God is jealous and there are times when He wants our undivided attention.

I admit I've done a lot of multi-tasking over the last few months... more than usual.  I've gotten rather good at it.  Sometimes it was good and necessary.  Sometimes it was a Hail Mary move as a result of procrastinating - which I'm also really good at.  I've also multi-tasked things I shouldn't have, including spending time with God - and I've justified it by saying thins like it was perfectly fine to pray while doing other things as prayer is a conversation with God that can happen any time and anywhere.  Not to say this isn't true, but there are also times when I need to be alone with God, giving Him my undivided attention... time to "be still and know that He is God".

I'm grateful that Pastor Russell, at The Fellowship at Scofield Farms, has started a practice at the end of First Monday Prayer where the last 5 minutes is spent being still before God.  It's a good reminder.  Hopefully I'll get better at remembering more often on my own.  Better yet, I'm praying that God will help me remember to give Him my undivided attention.  That's really the only way it will happen.

I know this isn't like my usual posts, but I believe it's what I'm supposed to write this evening.

OK, the K-State/TCU game is getting interesting.  While I'll still multi-task, I'm going to pay more attention to the game for a bit.

No comments: