Thursday, March 05, 2015

Biting my tongue and speaking my mind.

In my last post I made a comment about winter in central TX being short.  So much for that idea.  Time to bite my tongue.  We had freezing temps and rain last night - and it's MARCH!!!  The agency is closed today - which is why I get to blog in the middle of the day (while watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

I've long had the great ability of sticking my foot in my mouth... speaking my mind (and often being sarcastic) when I should be biting my tongue and keeping silent.  I'm still trying to learn when I should speak my mind instead of holding my tongue - moreso when talking to those I don't necessarily know.  I'm OK with people I know and trust, so most people don't realize that I'm an introvert who overcompensates.  I can also speak up when needed for work, because my job includes giving presentations to different groups and providing information at exhibit tables during different events.

When it comes down to it, I get the most timid when it comes to verbally sharing my faith with strangers.  Being a geek-nerd-white trash growing up, I found it safer and less painful to shut up and try to blend into the woodwork.  It's not that I don't know how to share my faith; but I tend to mess up when speaking about it.  I tend to communicate much better in writing... thus this blog.

I was thankful for this week's sermon at church.  Our guest speaker gave a sermon on How to Share the Gospel (you can watch it on You Tube), and then talked more about practical methods during lunch. It really wasn't anything new for me; so the issue is not knowledge and ability, but boldness and obedience.  

Enter yesterday's post by Margaret Feinberg on disobedience... It's good, and you should read it. I found it fairly convicting.  My prayer now is that my boldness in writing about faith in Christ will help me develop boldness in speaking about faith in Christ to those who need to hear it whether I know them or not.  If you are reading this and have questions about faith in Christ, feel free to ask.  Maybe we can talk about it.

No comments: