Sunday, August 14, 2016

Turning Questions into Statements

Yeah, it's been a while since I've posted.  "Why is that?" you may ask.  Not sure if I have an answer for that, or at least not a decent answer... got busy, got lazy, you name it. However, it does lead into what's on my mind... questions.  There are a lot of them in life.  Some have no answers, some require and answer and some beg to be turned into statements of truth.

I used to drive my college pastor crazy with questions.  Occasionally, I think I should tell Tom Westbrook that I'm sorry about driving him crazy, but then I realize, it was part of the learning process. So, no Tom, I'm not really that sorry.  Some of the answers have stayed with me, and are still true today along with other truths we learned back then.  The one that struck me the hardest was when I asked him how he knew that God would work in his life in certain situations, as a prelude to asking how I would know God would work in my life.  His answer, which I will never forget:  "I know He will because He has."  As a result, I've stopped asking if God is working in my life and started stating that He is working in my life.

There are other questions that come up that I pray will become statements as well:
"Am I brave enough in my daily life?"  "What does being brave look like in my life"  I know that God made me to be brave, but that truth hasn't quite fully sunk in to a practical place yet.  And I'm not the only one in this situation.  That's why The Fellowship at Scofield Farms is a partner for the BRAVE Women's Conference this fall.  With God's help I will stop asking "Am I brave?" and state "I am brave."  Thanks to Kat Cannon, the creator of the BRAVE Women's Conference for reaching out and allowing our church to partner with you.

Changing questions into statements is sometimes as easy as changing the order of the words and the punctuation.  For example, "Am I smart enough?" becomes "I am smart enough."  The trick, however, is yo stop wondering about the answer to the question and start believing the truth of the statement.  Then comes the blessing.  Yes, there are areas that God's still working on this in me, and that I'm still learning.  How do I know this?  I know He will because He has.  Thanks Tom.  And thanks be to God for taking my questions and turning them into statements.

No comments: