Sunday, February 08, 2015

To Everything...

There are times when it seems that my life is a series of songs; and the song depends on the day/month/season of my life.  It could be new songs such as "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor, or old ones, like "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by The Byrds: "To everything, turn, turn, turn.  There is a season, turn, turn, turn".  If either song is stuck in your head now, I make no apologies, in fact, I'm probably laughing [insert evil laugh: mwa ha ha ha].  The laughing part comes from a game we played while I was a student at Kansas State University, where you'd randomly insert lyrics into a conversation and see if you could get a song stuck in someone's head. If you did, then you won (mainly bragging rights - style points depending on how it was done.)  Thanks to Chuck and Rob for introducing me to that game.
    
I brought the game with me to the University of Texas where I had a whole new playing field.  There I advanced it to an art form after conditioning a friend to the point where Burke hears "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" in his head without using lyrics and simply saying "German hymn".  [insert more evil laughter].  Apparently Pavlov and Martin Luther make a good team.  

In all fairness, I fall victim to it too; and not just because I have a former roommate who was a musician; and several friends who are musicians.  During today's sermon at The Fellowship at Scofield Farms, I found myself hearing Kim Hill's song "Charm is Deceitful" because Pastor Russell was preaching from Proverbs 31, focusing for a while on verse 30: "Charm is deceitful, beauty is vain...".  Normally I have a problem when the Proverbs 31 woman comes up because I know that I am very far from being one.  I've always thought that becoming one was impossible, mainly because it covers things involving a husband and family, neither of which I have.  However focusing on the fear of Lord, makes it seem more attainable.  

I'm always working on coming to grips with my imperfections, and fixing them when possible. This is one more step.

Post Script:  A song about seasons is also appropriate today as I watch the blue birds flitting through the trees outside my house on a warm sunny day.  I hesitate to say "spring" day because even though it feels like spring, it's still February.  One more reason I love living in central TX.


No comments: