Thursday, January 15, 2015

Karma, Predestination, & Revelation

I spent this morning judging a science fair at River Oaks Elementary.  There are some smart kids at that school  This morning there were some nervous kids as well.  It was fun and interesting.  I was told that volunteering at the school was good community service and would bring good karma.  Sometimes I think karma is attributed to things that aren't necessarily done for karma.  I decided to look up the definition of karma and what I thought it would be was confirmed.  What surprised me was the list of synonyms.  It includes "predestination".  I think I was surprised because it didn't occur to me that a term from Buddhism and Hinduism could have a synonym from Christianity.  However both are tied to destiny.  It's just that the destiny comes from different sources, each accepted by some and rejected by others.  Needless to say this was a revelation to me.

The other revelation in my week was beginning Beth Moore's study of the book of Revelation with the Women's Bible Study I lead at The Fellowship at Scofield Farms.  While I had expected to learn from this study, I was still surprised at... well, basically how much I didn't know or understand.  I am so thankful that Beth Moore has done a lot of the hard work for this study.  I'm going to have to work hard enough to keep up and continue to learn from this study.  I'm really looking forward to learning more and exploring what it means to me. Thanks be to God, and Thank You Beth Moore! 

No comments: