Sunday, September 10, 2017

Old and New

There are umpteen-dozen quotes out there about old things, and new things, and old things becoming new... and that's not even including what the Bible says about it.  One of my favorites is "That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done.  So there is nothing new under the sun."  Ecclesiastes 1:9.  It's always fun when that comes in the form of renewing old friendships.  I got to hang out with my friend Rick Gonzalez last night.  However, this time it was in my living room instead of at Kanakuk Kamps or a restaurant in Branson MO on a night off from kamp.  We talked about old stories, and old friends, and about newer things.  There should have been several ears burning last night... TR, West Brazelton, Al Thomas, Skipper, Leslie Tijerina, Whit Roberts, Lee Roberts... and various others.  For the record, I'm totally enjoying renewing this friendship (as if there were any doubt about that).  

Also, there have been multiple times in the last few weeks that I've found myself writing side notes tying past things to current things going on, especially what I, and others, call "Kitchikomo verses". Point of clarification for those who may not know the term, the girls who work in the dining halls at Kanakuk are called Kitchikomos; and the verses are about serving God by serving others.  

Pastor Bob's sermon today at Northside Church Austin, included a Kitchikomo verse: " Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9. Sometimes it's easy to get frustrated and give up, but we shouldn't.  We should ask God to help up continue to do what He has for us to do.  This is something that was ingrained into me in the Kanakuk kitchens, usually while washing pots and pans.  That's what made it easy to make the connection between old and new.  I'm thankful that Kanakuk stays with me even years after I stopped working there.

So my lesson of today is that since there is nothing new under the son, we should not become weary, and keep doing good as we used to.  

No comments: