Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Fun(d) Raising

A couple weeks ago, our next door neighbor's teenage daughter left a surprise in our front yard - a flock of pink flamingo's. I was getting home after a birthday party at the Salt Lick (all I have to say about that is "yummmm"), and at first I thought my roommate had done something silly, but then a friend who was with me saw that one of them had a note attached. I don't know if you've heard of this, but they're apparently being used for fund raisers. If you contribute to the cause, you get to pick the next victim... um, I mean "host". As I like helping others, especially young people, and I thought it was a great idea, I contributed and picked the next target... um, again I mean "host".

Given that Kelsey was raising funds to be an international soccer ambassador this summer, I chose to let them migrate to my friend David's house (that's his yard at the right). I know how much he likes soccer (he's the Director of Business Development for Austin Lightning Soccer), and I correctly guessed that he'd contribute to the cause as well. I had to laugh, though, when he first thought it was a joke by one of his former roommates, then found a note that had my roommates name on it. She had taken the $ next door when she went over to talk to them about something else, so her name ended up on it instead of mine. Of course I set him straight. Some things are fine for framing, but I wanted to take credit for this one.

So if you find yourself "flocked", don't jump to conclusions, and consider helping out by contributing to the fun(d).

No comments: